Thread: What am I dealing with?

Matt

What am I dealing with?

For a while now I've been trying to get rid of what I thought was Lymphocystis from a couple of my tanks. It started a while back when I bought a Rainbow Cichlid from a lfs. I noticed a couple of individual wart like growths on the fins of some of his tank mates but picked this particular one because it was clear of them. However, later on a couple of these 'warts' appeared on the fins of this Rainbow Cichlid. I didn't think too much of it. I assumed it was just some sort of general blemish until I noticed them appearing on other fish in the same tank. After doing a bit of research I concluded it was probably Lymphocystis.

In the mean time I had set up another tank to house some Herichthys Deppii I was getting. To get things going I had transferred some filter media and substrate over from the tank with the Rainbow Cichlid in. Well, after a while these warts started appearing on my Deppii as well.

Then we come to today when I received a number of fish from a Don Conkel order, all of which are fine except for one Carpintis which has a one of these same warts on its tail fin.

Now the thing that's making me wonder if it really is Lymphocystis is that on no fish have these warts clumped together to form cauliflower-like growths. They've always been individual, distinct warts with a clear/cloudy appearance. Some fish have just had single warts, others have had a few but still always separate from each other, not clumped together. They also seem to always occur on the 'veins' of the fins.

So what am I dealing with here? Is it Lymphocystis or something else. I was just surprised to notice one on the Carpintis I received today.

It's a bit difficult to tell without actually seeing photos. Lymphocytis i believe is not actually a fatal disease, but can look very unsightly. I'm not sure why or how the virus takes hold in the fish, perhaps stress related?

With good maintainence and care the virus can completely clear on it's own. A few members have had problems with lymph and successfully cleared it up, so perhaps they will give some input.

It needs to be 100% identified first.

Lee.

Matt
    Here are some pictures of what they've got - a couple of one of the deppii and one of the Rainbow Cichlid. They appear more like lumps growing from within the veins of the fins rather than being attached to the surface (if that makes sense).

Last edited by Matt; 09-15-2010 at 11:41 PM.

Matt
    Thanks Rick. I'm not sure either, though I also wondered if it's just a mild case (which could potentially get much worse). After googling I did also wonder about "fish pox".

I have a bit of a dilemma because the Deppii are getting too big for their tank and need moving soon. I'm reluctant to do so though as it could mean spreading it to another tank.

I agree with Rick, not lympho. The deppi looks to have calluses where the rays have been damaged at some time, it's fairly common in cichlids. The rainbow seems to have a different type of problem, actual sore infection, thats the one I'd be watching closely. A background salt dose (1/2oz per gall) is a good start, if that doesn't touch it in a week or so then stronger anti-bacterials will be needed.
    'I deny nothing but doubt everything'. Byron.

Matt
    Thanks grummie2.